Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Breaks from Chemistry



~~~~~

Poem in Thanks

Thomas Lux

Lord Whoever, thank you for this air
I'm about to in- and exhale, this hutch
in the woods, the wood for fire,
the light-both lamp and the natural stuff
of leaf-back, fern, and wing.
For the piano, the shovel
for ashes, the moth-gnawed
blankets, the stone-cold water
stone-cold: thank you.
Thank you, Lord, coming for
to carry me here- where I'll gnash
it out, Lord, where I'll calm
and work, Lord, thank you
for the goddamn birds singing!



Poem in Thanks (2.0)

Kate S

Lord Whoever, thank you for this Oxygen gas
I'm about to chemically react to create carbon dioxide, this basement
classroom in the science building, the gas for the bunsen burner,
the match- both chemical and physical properties of
gaseous state, combustion, and heat of formation.
For the text book, the scientific calculator
for equations, the cracked and broken
test tubes, the 10.0 molarity Hydrochloric acid
ionized: thank you.
Thank you, Lord, coming for
to carry me to Chem 107, where I'll gnash
it out, Lord, where I'll suck it up
and do it, Lord, thank you
for the goddamn Hydrogen-bond molecular birds singing!

~~~~~~


I have had a huge number of INCREDIBLE 'that's what she said's lately. I'm so proud of myself.

1 comment: